Monday, January 23, 2012

Obama Sings At The Apollo - Should he keep his day job or try a singing career?

Obama Sings At The Apollo
Shortly after taking the stage last week for a fundraiser at the historic Apollo Theater in Harlem, President Obama broke into song. Obama, standing behind the presidential podium, thanked his hosts and the performers who preceded him, including singer Al Green. “To know that Rev. Al Green was here!” Obama said. Then, after a pause, he began to sing the opening line of one of Green’s hit songs from 1972, “Let’s Stay Together.” “I’m… sooo in love...” and the crowd went wild. The tune’s refrain underscores a theme of Obama’s re-election campaign: “Let’s, let’s stay together. Loving you whether, whether. Times are good or bad, happy or sad.” The president did not sing this part, however. “Those guys didn’t think I would do it. I told you I was going to do it,” Obama laughed, looking off stage. He admitted he couldn’t sing as well as Green, “but I just wanted to show my appreciation,” he said.